Wednesday, November 3, 2010

As Promised: Part 1

In my last post, I promised to tell you all how I handled the anal sex question from Momo .

So here goes.

Somehow, the topic of anal sex came up while we were all driving down the 405 freeway in Los Angeles. Those of you who read my blog regularly know that my kids ask LOTS of questions and there really is no subject that is taboo in our house.

If they have a question, we try to answer it in the most age appropriate way (and if we can't, we try to find someone who can...most of the time).

Anyways, on our ride through LA, Mango (for whatever reason) reported that he thought anal sex was gross, to which I replied that he might have a change of heart as he got older. My rationale being that considering he is gay, it might be one of the ways he is intimate with a partner. He wasn't super convinced, and I chalked that up to the fact that
1. he's not there yet
2. society has told him it's gross so he believes that.
Whatever...In time, he'll figure it out for himself.

Momo, on the other hand, got a kick out of the discussion and how it was making Mango squirm. She's the rebel rouser around here.
She proceeded to giggle and tell Mango that he WAS going to have anal sex when he got older to which he said "shut up Momo".

Then out of the blue Momo says, "Mom, how do people actually have anal sex? I mean, do they like spread their cheeks and rub their buttholes together?"

Needless to say, HWMNBN and I busted out laughing and Mango in his most exasperated voice said "Oh my god, Momo...you are weird" .

It was classic and she was TOTALLY serious.

After I pulled myself together and focused my attention back to the crazy traffic I was navigating, I realized that I was stumped. Despite wanting Momo to be informed and have the right information running around in her brain, I also loved that my little girl was still, well...a little girl.

Honestly, I felt relieved that were things that she still didn't know despite living in this sex saturated society... and I liked that.

I could have told her the truth and answered her question but something in me made me shrug and say, "Momo you crack me up."

She dropped it and seemed content that I wasn't going to give her any more details. The subject eventually changed and we giggled about other things as we drove home. Poor Momo was none the wiser.

I sometimes wonder if I should tell her the truth. I have the opportunity every once in a while, when she will bring it up again by saying something like,
"I just don't understand why people would want to rub their buttholes together".

And after I get up off the floor from laughing my guts out, I think about how much I cherish the bits of innocence that still remain in my kids...

and this my bloggy friends, makes me laugh and smile and keep my mouth shut.

2 comments:

  1. That is hilarious!

    I applaud you and HWMNBN for loving your son for exactly who he is. My gay stepson is one of my favorite people in the world, and like Mango, is a great shopping buddy! BTW, even though he has been happily out for 40+ years, he agrees with Mango .... just doesn't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Well hopefully she understood that she was not exactly right when you all laughed ;-)

    It kind reminds me when I was around that age... I used to think Oral Sex was just talking about sex - So I didn't understand what the big deal was about it! lol

    ReplyDelete

Quit lurking and drop me a comment...Puhleeeeze!